CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 30, 2010

A trip to the city to hear Joel Salatin!


Bethie and I received tickets to go to Seattle to hear Joel Salatin speak at the University of Washington. His topics included local foods, the downsides of mass-food production, and adopting a victim-free view of farming. This in particular spoke to me, and encouraged me to do what I can NOW, instead of waiting for the almighty local government to see things my way. I learned much about courageous, inventive farming and we came away very inspired to see how much we can do from the five acres that the Lord has blessed us with. (One of the points he made was that for the first time in history, our society has no clue where our food actually comes from...and we don't care! Very eye-opening!)
Bethie and I also were honored to meet Mr. Salatin before the lectures began, which gave us the opportunity to thank him for being a forerunner in the battle against the food police, chemical-laden foods, and over-regulation of farming.


My camera didn't get any good pictures of the inside of the auditorium, but I did take a few before-hand, as I showed Bethie around the UW campus. Generations of Engstroms have attended there, and it was one of the primary places Erik and I spent time before we were married. What a walk down memory lane!


At the fountain just off of Red Square

It was a chilly walk, but after the dinner we'd had (maybe a last-hurrah to fast food?), it felt good to walk briskly for an hour!

What was the last hurrah? The iconic Dick's Drive In, of course! Bethie had never been to the place that her daddy and I spent many dollar-bills when we were in the university district before we were married...A Dick's Deluxe, hand-cut fries, and a fresh milkshake. Funny...I don't think it was even because of the lectures we listened to a couple of hours later, but it just wasn't as good as I remembered it being.


All in all it was a fantastic evening out with my precious daughter. My favorite part of it all had to be the dreaming and scheming we did on the way home, reminding each other of different things that stood out to us as we listened to Mr. Salatin. Good times that I'm grateful for!

0 Tall Tails: