CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Windowsill Scallions

Here's a great frugal farming tip that absolutely ANYONE can do: You can grow perpetual green onions in your windowsill!

All of the onions you see here were store-bought green onions. We only ate the green parts, and left the white bulbs with the roots intact. Into some soil they went (thanks, Tammy, for the wonderful start!), and -voila!- new greens emerged!

Above you can see newly grown greens as well as some white bulbs just recently planted.
Now, I don't know how many times I can cut back on these and expect them to continue to reproduce, but it's certainly worth a try! We eat a lot of green onions in our family, so I predict a beautiful windowsill full of planters with these beauties growing up soon.


Try this soon, and you might find yourself knocking 'green onions' off of your grocery list forever!
(Big tips of the hat to Libby, who tried to get me to do this last year, and to Tammy who convinced me to this year...you both are wiser than I!)

Until we journey together again,

0 Tall Tails: